Who knew that one afternoon while wandering about would lead me towards a broken down barn and wood train tracks which were located right in my neighbourhood. I hope you enjoy the photos!
It has been a while since I have been on here. My absence has been due to a health issue that required my attention and still does daily.
Anyways, Christmas has come and gone. However, my Christmas decorations remain up and around my place. Here are just a few easy Christmas DIY projects.
I had the apothecary jar on hand. I snagged it at a church bazaar during the summer for 10 cents. Can you believe it? Me neither! I also had the fake snow on hand. I purchased it at an after Christmas sale last year. The silver mini tree is from the Dollar Store. Add them all together and it’s a cute yet simple Christmas decoration.
I love pinecones and anything sparkly, so why not combine the two? That’s exactly what I did. All that is required is glue, sparkles and pinecones. The end result is below.
The balcony needed something Christmasy (is that a word? ah well, it is now) as well. Birch branches, boughs of greenery, sumac, and a flood light were used to create this arrangement. I wanted it to be visible from below hence the flood light. The flood light is sitting beneath the birch branches and illuminates the branches and sumac.
Autumn may just be my favourite season if I had to choose one. Although, I’ve never had to choose one. I took a photo of this bridge last year. When I look at it I think of autumn and walking with a tea in hand. If my mind serves me correctly, I was eating ice cream prior to taking this photo which is not very autumn like. The bridge is located in Guelph, Ontario and is primarily used by students to get from one place to the next. I was surprised. I pictured this type of bridge pattern to be located in the country.
So I hit up the dollar store and snagged these babies for $2.00. I’m a sucker for a good deal. I should have taken the plastic off prior to snapping the photo..oops!
This was an easy and quick way to clear the clutter that had found its way into the file folders. I don’t want to tell you the date on some of the papers that snuck in there.
I think this little area on the corner of my desk looks better already.
I made labels so I know what goes where. I also hid the black filing tray with a frame and photo. Now I have something pretty to glance over at while working. The filing folders, the pretty filing folders.
I feel more organized and it only took a few minutes to clear the clutter and print a few labels. As my niece would say, “good job!.”
I have been admiring painted mason jars, like these ones http://pinterest.com/pin/545428204840556446/ for a while now. I am on vacation (yippee!) so I have some free time to do the things that don’t get done while working Monday to Friday. Off to the thrift store I went. I picked up these two mason jars for $0.69 each. What a steal. They were not marked with a price tag, so the cashier invented a price. I liked the price.
The tutorials I have read regarding the painting process advised to use acrylic paint, which I did. I chose this colour, Pool by Martha Stewart. It was $2.88. I have seen it cheaper, however, I was already at the store and thought I would pick it up. To paint the inside of the mason jar, you squirt paint into the bottom of the jar and turn it upside down to allow the paint to run down the sides of the jar. Easier said than done. My paint didn’t budge. It sat there in blobs. I put the lid back on the jar and shook it. I stuck (what I could) of my hand and swished the paint around. I finally resorted to the utensil jar. I needed something long with a flat edge. The lobster pick was the best man for the job.
The tutorials I have read advise to turn the jar upside down to allow it to dry. He was turned right side up for the photo. Mine has been drying for a day and half and only the top rim is dry. Here he is drying. So exciting I know.
Once dry, I will add flowers to spruce it up and will give you an update. In the meantime, there he sits drying.